Holi, the festival of colors, brotherhood, fun and of-course the festival of mouth-watering cuisines. Every year all my family members sit together and make some delicious Indian recipes just a week before the Holi. Holi bring colour, fun in life and to celebrate Holi food is not left behind..gujiyas, malpua and thandai are the most famous food. My mom use to make gujiyas, malpua, dahi vada and so many other things. And I manage to make only thandai and happy to share with you guys this simple but delicious recipe, as most of the recipes; thandai also made in few different ways. One can use fresh rose petals but since I didn’t had any with me so I used rose water and you must add peppercorn as gives kick to this drink.
Milk – 500ml
Sugar – 4 tbsp or according to taste
Almonds – 10
Cashews – 10
Pistachios – 5[chopped for garnishing]
Green Cardamoms – 4
Black Peppercorns – 2 tsp
Poppy Seeds – 2 tsp
Fennel Seeds/Saunf – 1 tbsp
Rose Water – 2 tbsp
Saffron – few strands
Water – 2 cups
1. Soak almonds and cashews in water for 4-5 hours or overnight.
2. In a pan roast poppy seeds, peppercorns, cardamoms and fennel seeds for 2-3 minutes and grind into fine powder.
3. Peel the almonds and grind with cashews into a smooth paste, add little water if required.
4. Now add the spice mixture with little water and blend until creamy.
5. Meanwhile, bring the milk to boil, add sugar and simmer until sugar dissolves. Also add 4-5 saffron strands. Now let the milk cool down completely.
6. Strain mixture through a fine strainer or cheesecloth. Grind leftover spice mixture from the strainer with 1/2 cup of water until creamy and strain again.
7. Add milk to the spice mixture and stir well. Now add rose water and mix well Serve with crush ice. Or refrigerate for 4-5 hours/ overnight and serve chill with pista, almonds garnishing on top.
Enjoy your Thandai